Fertilizer Market Insights and Forecasting
Macro-economic factors create volatile conditions in global fertilizer markets. Navigate uncertainty using our current market information and price discovery tools, and medium- or long-term market outlooks, to make informed investment and planning decisions.
Key facts about the global fertilizer market
- Global fertilizer exports in 2018 totalled 228 million tonnes, up 20% in five years.
- Global fertilizer demand increased 9% in the five years to 2018 to total 730 million tonnes.
- Total global fertilizer production and supply topped 805 million tonnes in 2018, meaning supply was greater than demand. Overall supply increased 12% in the five years since 2013.
- The global ammonia market amounts to 181 million tonnes, of which just 10% (19 million tonnes) is traded on the world market.
- Over 200 million tonnes of phosphate rock is mined every year, but only 30 million tonnes is traded internationally, with the balance processed at source into either phosphoric acid (the key phosphate intermediate) or finished fertilizers.
Contact UsView global sales phone numbers
Who we help
Changes in the macroeconomic landscape cause price sensitivity, making it difficult to trade at the right price and time. Spot opportunities and ensure you maximize profit by using accurate and timely price discovery and reporting on the latest deals and tenders available on the market.
Maintaining a steady flow of supply whilst also maintaining positive profit margins is crucial. Our reports offer a forward-view on potential disruptions to supply and demand helping you to mitigate risk, as well as advise procurement strategy with the latest prices published weekly.
A detailed understanding of long-term market trends is key to guiding strategic planning. Our in-depth markets analysis and price forecasting out to 2030 inform future investment opportunities, as well as help you mitigate risk exposure for your business.
Agribusiness Blogs and Research & Analysis
Potash Analyst, IHS Markit
Ammonia Analyst, IHS Markit
Principal Ammonia Analyst, IHS Markit
Head of Current Information Nitrogen and Potash, IHS Markit
Market Reporter, IHS Markit
Head of Current Information, Phosphates and Sulphur
Senior Urea Analyst, IHS Markit
Sulphur and Sulphuric Acid Analyst, IHS Markit
Sulphur Analyst, IHS Markit
Principal Analyst – Phosphate Outlooks, IHS Markit
Head of Analysis, Phosphates, Sulphur and Potash
Market Reporter, Karl Stenerson
China Fertilizer Analyst, IHS Markit
Follow IHS Markit Agribusiness
The WASDE report could prove global and US supply and demand numbers to be market movers in the midst of volatility… https://t.co/DIKXe1g86u