Crop Science Market Insights and Forecasting
Market consolidation, increasing regulation and sustainability are creating significant change for crop protection and seed companies. Shape your commercial strategy using our proprietary data, in-depth market analysis and long-term forecasts.
Key facts about the global crop science market
- The global crop protection and non-crop market grew 6% in 2018 to $65.1 billion but our current growth forecast is at <1% for 2019.
- The commercial seed market increased by 1.3% in 2018 to $41.7 bn. Within this, the GM seed market remained flat at $22 billion.
- Increasingly stringent regulation is impacting growth for established products and increasing the cost of innovation.
- Leading Chinese companies drive over $12 billion agrochemical sales. Under increased regulatory pressure, the Chinese market is now grappling with the emergence of coronavirus in 2020 and further impacts to production.
- Generic product sales have grown consistently over the past 10 years and now account for 41% of the agrochemical market. The market leading generic herbicide, glyphosate is the subject of ongoing legal actions which emerged shortly after Bayer had acquired Monsanto in 2018. Bayer shares fell by 40% following the initial court cases, but they have since regained about half of those losses in a rebounding stock market.
Contact UsView global sales phone numbers
Crop Science Sectors
Seed and GM Crops
Who we help
It can be difficult to predict the impact of market developments and gain a definitive view of the industry. Our robust global market data and long-term forecasts provide this, allowing you to make informed data-driven decisions, mitigate risk and implement effective strategy changes.
Pressure to innovate, identify licensing opportunities and develop new compounds can be mitigated by tracking competitor R&D activities, analysing patent information, and aligning development to emerging areas with the greatest impact to your business.
Tracking the latest legal and policy developments across multiple sources can be time-consuming. Stay abreast of regulatory changes and react with confidence utilizing our news and market insight, special reports and consultancy services.
At IHS Markit we offer market-leading crop science information solutions via our globally recognized Crop Science Market Reporting and Phillips McDougall services across 700+ active ingredients and 14 major crop groups. Our specialist team of over 25 crop protection and seed experts offer comprehensive news, data and independent analysis across the global industry, with current news, data and market forecasting solutions to support all operational needs in your organisation.
Agribusiness Blogs and Research & Analysis
Crop Science Experts
Deputy Editor, IHS Markit
Dr. Alan Bullion
Special Reports and Projects Director
Senior Analyst, Crop Science
US Correspondent, IHS Markit
Editor in Chief of Agrow, IHS Markit
Senior Consultant Analyst, IHS Markit
Senior Analyst,Crop Science
Follow IHS Markit Agribusiness
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) plans this summer to propose a new rule to allow young chicken plants… https://t.co/t74tRBqP29
Future EU trade deals want to increase global environmental standards, risking economic turmoil for some countries… https://t.co/XQ6FBpPG28