Ethanol has been one of the fastest growing markets for a value-added product in the agricultural space. It helps farmers to diversify their revenue streams and develop new markets. The two largest feedstocks for ethanol production are corn and sugar.
Key facts about the global ethanol market
- World production of ethanol will reach around 110 billion litres in 2020.
- The ethanol market has grown by about 33% over the last 10 years.
- The US has expanded its global ethanol market share from less than 20% to over 40% over the last 10 years.
- The top three producers of ethanol are Poet, ADM and Valero, which control about 17% of world output and are all US-based.
- The largest ethanol exporting country Brazil is nowadays also the biggest importer with a share of 30% of the world total.